View Single Post
Old October 11th, 2017, 11:41 AM   #17
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronjones239 View Post
285 is killer for a 300! I've heard a rumor of a guy with a 278lbs bike but no idea who and closest to that was I think 295.

I currently have 2 Ninja 300's, one is a superbike build with some spears goodies. The other is going to be a supersport build to hop in with CCS for next year. Currently torn down almost to the frame as I prepare it to get the works. Hopefully in the realm of where yours is once said and done.

I hadn't messed with weight reduction all year on my superbike build, last week I finally removed a lot of misc plastics and brackets. When I weighed it in the spring she was a fat pig at 331lbs with roughly 1/3-1/2 tank of gas. Can't remember if my lap timer/gopros were on or not. I plan to weigh it before my race this weekend at Hastings with track addix so I'll have an updated figure soon. I should note the lightweight wheels were a customers that he let me get the weight off of. Hopefully I can pick up a set soon though
Just weighed mine again yesterday. Weight without gas is 288.5 lb.

The things that added weight this year:

Went to a 4" wheel from a Ninja 300 to accomodate the width of the A-13 rear. About a three pound weight gain when combined with the bigger tire.

Installed a dry break valve on the gas tank. Maybe a half pound gain because I removed the filler neck from the tank to install the valve.

Put a heavy-assed 520 o-ring chain from the local dealership cause I was in a pinch right before the first race weekend. Probably gained two pounds from that.

278 lbs is very doable. As I mentioned, replacing the fairing would save 3 or 4 pounds, going to a nice light 520 non o-ring chain would save a couple more, and nice light wheels (maybe from an RS or TZ 125) would easily take care of the several more pounds.

All this weight savings makes a big difference. Considering that a stock 250 Ninja is around 345lb without gas, the 56 or so pound weight savings on my bike is fairly significant. Leaving alone the difference in acceleration on a 30hp bike, strap an extra 60 lbs on any bike that's not a Harley and most people would notice a big difference in handling.

The best evidence is the several people say that we've been going pretty fast on that 300 Ninja. Then I tell them it's a 250.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote