View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2019, 01:59 PM   #12
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
YCRS made a post recently -- https://www.facebook.com/ridelikeach...7265699134035/
For those without facebook it reads:
Quote:
In a very short time, the leading instructor uses hand signals, bike placement, brake lights and body position to concisely show the students their next steps. Quick glances in the mirror allow the instructor to adjust his or her pace to best-match the student's rhythm, always working on the next steps each rider needs. It's not really "lead/follow"...it's real-time, real-speed coaching aimed at immediate improvement.
I have to think this almost might be a response to my review

I'll expand on that section of my review a bit: YCRS doesn't use many hand signals and they aren't formalized -- all I saw was "tap tail" to follow and the rotate rider order one. I also feel that, without theory lessons, some parts of what they're doing may not be obvious. When you're following a rider there are also a number of things that are very easy to not pay attention to -- if I am watching him am I paying attention to my turn point or just turning where he turned? Did I look into the apex to judge my turn rate or just imitate his? How fast is his roll on? How fast is his trail brake release? You can make estimates but understanding that -- as well as why he picked those points -- can be lost. In particular I feel that this ride being done so early in the day can mean a rider doesn't have a lot of context.
The fact that it can theoretically be teaching "everything at once" could also be overwhelming to a less experienced rider -- while CSS could be critiqued for requiring you attend 3 times in order to get the "whole program" it also allows for very specific focus. I can see advantages to both, but it's worth noting.

While this may seem like a strong complaint, it isn't meant to be. This is a critique directed towards improving the program; at least from my perspective.