Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherof2 View Post
Hi Gang,

First post here.

I just picked up a 2007 250R that I would like to use on the track. As you know, tire choices are limited. That said, if I pick up a set of Shinko's, will that work for a new track rider? I don't intend to try to drag my elbows. I just want to have fun and learn. However, I would also like to be able to safely experience some degree of lean angle and perhaps a little bit of semi aggressive riding. Thoughts?

Thanks for any input!
Shinkos are far from ideal. For a first-time rider they'll be okay, but trust me: You'll want to do more days. You're going to find the limits of those tires very quickly.

We're all different but I will tell you this: At my first track day the chicken strips on my rear tire were all but gone, and I'm not that fast. You might surprise yourself.

Been awhile since I was focused on Ninjettes, but I believe that Pirelli Sport Demons are still available in your size. Better tire IMO.

Also... when you go, talk to the tire guy about pressures. You want to run lower pressures on the track (30F 30R is a good rule of thumb).

Are you the guy who posted on the TTD Facebook group?

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.