Thread: first ride :)
View Single Post
Old June 3rd, 2018, 05:57 AM   #44
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
I had my third practice session early this morning I took Takara out on my street for 45 minutes or so, and it went great!

I adjusted my shifter last night when I got home from work, and boy did that make a difference. I just started out by feeling the friction zone and getting used to using both breaks. It felt a little weird at first having to move my foot to get on the back brake, but I got used to it. Getting her going was much easier this time, no squirrely launches lol. I just lightly went on the throttle as I was still in the friction zone and then let the clutch out. Smooth as silk.

I got her into 2nd gear a few times and it felt great I didn't practice downshifting because there seems to be differing opinions on downshifting into first while still moving. I know in my car I just shift her into first once I'm at a stop. So I did the same this time out. I also did a couple low speed (5 mph) left turns onto a side street. My neighbor said I looked like a natural, not having any problem at all. It felt good. So next up is practicing right turns and if I feel I'm ready, u turns. My street just seems so skinny once I'm on the bike, I don't dare to attempt it lol.

As for getting her up to the parking pad, this time I had my neighbor on the right side of her and I feathered the clutch to get her up. Only bad moment was when she hit the lip of the pad she rolled back and I wasn't expecting it. I stalled her and slid in the gravel because of her weight rolling back but I managed to get on the front brake to stop her, otherwise I would have been belly down on the gravel with her on top of me. After that, we just pushed her the few inches to get over the lip and onto the pad, but it was still way easier than pushing her all the way.

I may have been bummed out by not getting to practice in a big parking lot on Thursday, but I am way happy about how I did this morning on my street
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.