Old June 4th, 2018, 10:18 AM   #59
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
I'll keep practicing using it then. The bike does have ABS.

The shifting into first right before coming to a stop so you can get away if you need to makes sense. In my car, the point that I shift into first is right around when it is just settling to a stop. that way if the light changes before I've stopped all the way, I can just keep it in second and go. I guess I'll have to play around with it a little bit and see what feels best for me.

I think the amazing muscle memory growth can probably be contributed (at least a little) to my years of experience driving stick and riding horses. Knowing how to drive stick in a car helps with learning it on the bike, and a lot of what you are taught when riding horses applies to the bike as well. Look where you want to go, keep your upper body relaxed (keep the good posture, though!) while gripping with your legs and using your core. Main difference is instead of the "heels down toes up" mantra that was slammed into my head throughout my horseback riding years is now the opposite.
That's about when I shift into first, too, just as the vehicle is coming to a stop. I keep my feet fairly flat, though. Definitely not toes-down. That comes from my first time on a bike being a dirtbike - never put your toes downward in case you come across a rock. Same reason I put my feet up as soon as the bike starts moving, though on the street rocks that will bite my toes are a low likelihood. It's a habit I've never seen a reason to change.

Definitely look where you want to go, though. Absolutely. I learned that mountain biking- you look at the rock, you're *going* to hit it. Look at the space next to the rock, where you want to go.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.