Thread: Bicycles!
View Single Post
Old December 31st, 2009, 09:37 AM   #25
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

LiL one, Your bike is probably a 12Sp. Toe straps are no longer popular and have been replaced by "Clipless Pedals"--lots of different ones on the market. I am partial to LOOK pedals made in France. The egg shaped sprockets you refer to were popular for a short time in the 90`s and were called "Biopace" The sprockets were shaped in an ellipse and that was theoretically supposed to give a better power transfer. I find Biopace to be a PITA because unless you are super careful shifting the front derailleur, you will drop your chain. I restored a classic Scott Centurion for a friend. The bike has Biopace and he loves it. He did get rid of the toe clips and got LOOK pedals. You can take the toe clips off your pedals easily. They come off with two bolts and then become conventional pedals. LOOK pedals are pricey---over $100.00 a pair for the high tech ones. There are others that cost a lot less. You should dust off the bike and ride it when the weather gets good. That $600.00 bike was a good bike in its day---a lot of it hand made and good quality materials. I have a magnetic trainer in my shop that I use primarily in the winter to "Road test" a bike I worked on and a means of fitting a customer to their bike---seat adjustments, stem length and heigth, etc. I do ride the trainer with my own bike an hour every other day to keep my butt in shape. I do ride a stationary bike at the YMCA every day. The Y is about 300 meters from my house. At age 68, I can`t afford to get out of shape.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote