View Single Post
Old December 1st, 2011, 03:31 PM   #51
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Actually, no. I wasn't quoting you, but I just went back through the posts and you did say something similar. The person who I was actually quoting was definitely an atheist and isn't a member here AFAIK. If I was quoting someone from this forum, I would have just hit the quote button like I just did. Sorry for the confusion on that.
Oops, think that was my booboo. Sorry back at ya.
Just remember all atheists are not alike. I get kinda flippy when anyone is put into a people bucket. I have a born again christian uncle who is NOT a christian in my eyes and I know Wiccas who follow the good people rules better than some christians or muslims. We are all human so one giant swarm. No carbon copies no matter what the title.

There's a cool rabbi who talks about how it could be that all of us are saying the same thing but we use different roads to get there. I like that. That's one thing about the jewish faith that I wish would spill over into all faith and non faith people...The idea that it's GOOD to wonder and ask questions.
Quote:
However, there is a difference between 'offensive' stickers and anti-religious stickers.
Not to some people. For some, they are one in the same. Some people find anti - THEIR-religion stickers offensive. Just like those cartoons. I can't FEEL why it was offensive but if I was follower of Islam maybe I would find it offensive too. I can say that I do understand why it was offensive but that's just the common sense part of me. Hard to say without be realistically walking in their shoes.

Quote:
But say I took a job working for a muslim group and they wanted me to wear a 'I love Mohamed' sticker. I would be offended, because I'm not muslim, but at the same time, it wouldn't carry any religious significance to me so I would probably wear it to keep my job.
That;s an interesting one eh? I wouldn't wear an I love Jesus or Mohamed etc sticker because it wouldn't be true so would be a false representation of me. I don't find the sentiment offensive in any way though.
I would easily wear an I love christians or I love muslims sticker since I do love all people unless thy turn out to be a dickhead. Respect first, mentally chuck them off a cliff if they're nasty humans.

Quote:
But if they wanted me to wear a 'I hate Jesus' or 'I hate Jews' sticker, then that would have religious significance and I would refuse to wear it.
Makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
my comments are pointed toward the people having seemingly useless discussion about people they don't knows feelings about a subject that always has the same result. not the people getting butt-hurt.
I find these discussions very useful. Keeps me in touch with how other are feeling about things. Compare some of the religious discussions we have now as opposed to before 911. The world has changed but there's hope that we're all chilling out again.

Quote:
whats the saying? only a crazy person keeps doing the same thing expecting a different result each time?
And sane people can expand the road each time new thoughts and ideas get filtered through their heads.
No one ever expects people of strong faith to "change their minds" but some of us did. Same path different result. Even Einstein followers may have to rethink speed of light soon. Kinda exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
Im confused by your posts Alex since no one in this thread has said anything mean or even been confrontational?

This has been one of the nicest discussions of a "hot" topic that Ive seen...
It's totally cool eh? Some forums have trolls or a bunch of 'too cool' kids, this one has a nice mix of everyone. Hope it never changes.
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote