Old May 21st, 2015, 03:24 PM   #1
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Cool video/data overlay solution

I got meself an action cam (Contour) and will be using for the first time at this weekend's track days. I've seen some videos that have data overlays -- G force, speed, time, etc., and I wanted to do that.

Based on a post from @csmith12 I checked out some software and settled on RaceRender and its companion Track Addict phone app... largely because it's Mac-friendly.

The results are pretty impressive and it's fairly easy to use. Basically you just fire up your camera and let it record video. Your phone captures GPS data -- set it to start recording and stick it in your pocket.

At the end of the day, you wind up with a video file and a data log file. RaceRender syncs these up.

What makes this cool is that you don't need a fancy camera with GPS. All you need is one that gives you adequate video quality. The Contour I have is going for $99 these days, and pretty much anyone who has a phone has a GPS in their pocket.

You can have all kinds of different displays... use one of the canned ones or roll your own. It even does split screen if you've got multiple cameras, and you can record directly with your phone.

This screen cap was from this morning's commute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RaceRender.jpg (108.9 KB, 23 views)

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.