Old June 8th, 2017, 10:24 AM   #133
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
@Misti,
Thanks for your input and kind words. I don't have "skill" to teach other riders but my hope is that new riders might read this long thread of my experience and find some of the answers--hopefully quicker than I --that I have learned. I am not much of a writer but I do try to make what I am thinking make sense as best as I am able.

I have not yet figured out what I need to set the right amount of correct reference points. I can say that the first few times I rode on a race track that the X's and cones did not make much sense and like your analogy, I was riding in rigidly straight lines from one to the next. Once I was able to get not only my entry point to a turn right but the orientation of the bike at the entry point and hit the apex at the correct angle/line, I was able to carry speed while accelerating out of the turn to drift the bike out to the next marker. Once this made sense, the lines between markers/reference points become more sweeping lines than straight point to point riding. I have this down fairly well but there are still a few (especially large sweepers) turns where I need more reference points to "flow" thru the turn. I anticipate once I get back on the track late next month, with my slower pace, I will be able to figure out where I need to add markers and will be able to finish these large turns better and set up for the next section. There should be no issue with remembering the points once I have them picked out but first I must find not only a reference but the correct one to keep me on the right heading thru the turn.

As always,
Thank you for your time

Ant
I look forward to reading about how it goes next time you are on track.

Now, have you ever tried to draw the track? Not copy a track map but to free draw the track from memory? Can you see any kind of benefit to trying this exercise? What could come from drawing the track from memory?
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote