View Single Post
Old June 15th, 2020, 01:16 AM   #5
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturncal View Post
Awesome man, thanks for the info! In that case, is it worth it to add a GSXR shock or just go to the track with my stock rear shock? I originally thought it would be a cheap upgrade to the rear to spring the shock for my weight, but now I'm questioning whether I'll actually appreciate the upgrade.

Sidenote: I'm 180lbs without gear.
For street use, you won't really gain any benefits from GSX-R shock. I started out at 195-lbs with factory shock at full-preload. I'm at 170-lbs now and ride my bone-stock street bike one down from full-preload.

On track, main benefit is being able to adjust compression and rebound damping independently (some have separate low vs. high-speed compression). For example, when playing with different stiffness springs, you'll need to change damping. Often in opposite directions.

This is really only noticeable when you're going +90% of limit. My 1st season on track, I did +40 trackdays on factory shock. I had chopped off over 30-sec/lap at Thunderhill by end of season.

Going to K-Tech Razor then Ohlins shock was an improvement next season, but I'd have to really be pushing to limit to notice difference (still slightly faster on Razor). I'd say variations between all these shocks over stock is 2-5sec/lap at most. If you're pro-racer and your paycheque depends upon results, yeah, shock-upgrade may be difference between 1st and 10th place. For amateurs, it's nice to have, but not vitally important.

Personally I notice bigger improvements in control and lap-times with front-end upgrade with stiffer springs, thicker oil and gold-valve emulators. If you're going to upgrade suspension, I'd do front-end first. Along with SS brake-line upgrade, grippy pads and DOT-4 fluid. Also as you improve, major impediment to going faster will be footpegs grinding, then exhaust and kickstand-bracket. This is where an adjustable clevis to increase shock-length without affecting spring-preload or damping comes in handy.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote