View Single Post
Old April 18th, 2014, 09:37 AM   #1
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Spot cyclists - shoulder check - change lane - STATIONARY CAR!

Link to original page on YouTube.

I'm pretty mindful of that kind of situation now having clipped the back end of a van that stopped in front of me while I was doing a shoulder check to change lanes.

There's a zebra crossing in this video, but there isn't anyone walking across it, so I can't make out why the driver came to a complete stop. Ultimately it doesn't matter why he stopped though. I think it pays to assume that drivers will perform sudden and seemingly senseless actions and adjust your street riding practice accordingly. I now maintain a bigger stopping distance behind cars, cover my front brake at all times in traffic and try to maintain a calm awareness of all the vehicles that surround me.

The author made this comment:

Quote:
The skid was on purpose to get the front wheel away from head on impact. If you correct at too high a speed you will most likely high side dropping the bike. Even at impact of side cover on bumper I felt I still had too much momentum to straighten out on a good trajectory away from car. Hope I never have to try it again.
Throwing hand signals will slow your reaction time as will multiple road distractions so make sure you have room. You may finish your shoulder check like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atDFqxHLctE
Sounds like he's claiming he deliberately stepped his tail out to the left so as to set his trajectory to the right of the car. Sounds to me like he's post-rationalizing his over-use of the rear brake and got relatively lucky.

I think he had enough time to steer to the right of the car.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.