View Single Post
Old December 12th, 2022, 08:36 AM   #45
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
Well there are 2 sides to this argument being relaxed while in an emergency situation means you will have a slower response time than if your all keyed up and tense...

but staying loose and not tensing up IS extremally important so maybe My idea of being relaxed is different than every one else's... but I never totally relax on a motorcycle or when I drive a car.... you can't RELAX and still be aware ....

Holding on to the bike with your legs really helps.....some times.... not always ! on a dirt bike tearing up a rough rocky dirt road you better not hug the bike as it will deflect from a rock and throw off your balance, if you let the bike float below you you can take that hill with ease hug the bike with your legs and you probably won't make it and be fighting it the whole way....
the same is true for street riding but there is very seldom anything to deflect your balance so hugging the bike with your legs is an acceptable practice

Bob......
Hmmmmm. I'll have to disagree with you here on many things. First of all the definition of being relaxed is this - to make or become less tense or anxious.

So, being relaxed while riding is an ideal situation because it means you are less tense and anxious. When you tense up your vision narrows, you tend to focus on the wrong things, you can develop tunnel vision and your body and arms tighten up, all of which make you LESS aware of what is going on around you and LESS likely to react properly, and within control.

Being relaxed while riding does not mean that you are unaware of what is going on around you, or less aware than if you are "keyed up and tense" as you said.

A relaxed rider is one that is taking in all the visual information required in a smooth manner, and therefore their control actions are smooth as well. Smooth does not mean slow- at all. You can be smooth and relaxed and fast- just look at moto gp racers, they are not riding tense and anxiously.

Being relaxed while riding also doesn't mean that you aren't using muscle groups like your legs to grip the tank so your upper body can remain loose. You can still squeeze the tank with your legs and be relaxed.

I think some of the disagreement here is based on semantics and the thought that being "relaxed" somehow means less aware or less prepared to react- that's not what it means at all, it means that you are able to see and react to situations in a less tense and anxious way- all which are beneficial while riding any type of motorcycle, dirt or street.

I ride motocross and the goal is to squeeze the tank with my knees to keep my arms relaxed and loose which helps with rider fatigue but also with allowing the motorcycle and suspension to do what they were designed to do and hit the bumps and jumps in a flowing manner.

I ride enduro and single track and the same concept is true.

I also coach riders on track for 8 hours/day with the California Superbike School and constantly teach and demonstrate riding with as smooth and relaxed pace as possible.

When I was racing as a Pro AMA 600 supersport racer, again, the goal was always to ride as calmly, smoothly and relaxed as possible. My fastest times were always on laps that felt like they were happening in slow motion.

Here is a photo of me coaching at Virginia International Raceway- the reason I can take my hand off the handlebar at pace (and we were NOT going slow) is that I'm gripping the tank with my knees and am anchored and secure on the bike, I'm in control, prepared and ready.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6922.jpg (85.2 KB, 1 views)
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.