View Single Post
Old April 6th, 2023, 03:01 AM   #40
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Ok... I pulled the XR650L apart the other day and got the seat and gas tank off of it as well as the 2 plastic side panels so almost everything is accessible
the Rack I ordered for it came the other day and at first I thought it was going to be way too small ...but I just went out and held it up to it and looked at it and it looks like it will be absoultly perfect ! I got the one that has seperate side protection bars for the rear.... as I do like crash protection !
so that will be good for the rear.... the front I haven't seen anything in the way of crash bars for the front yet...
When I took the carb off I went ahead and drilled out the 2 holes in the slide to 5/32" as per the Dave's Mod instructions but that is all I have done as far as the Dave's Mod goes I did put a washer under the jet needle and was getting ready to put the carb back on and thought better of it, took it back apart and took out the washer and then re assembled it....Because I remember many times experimenting with changing the clip positions on several bikes in the past and it never improved how the bike ran in fact it almost always introduced a sogg on acceleration..... I did pull the spark plug to check the color and it was fairly sooty from all the starts and stops I have done to it , but under the soot it looked fairly lean so I reamed out the main jet with a torch tip cleaner... but I did not go real far, I just hope I didn't go too far !.... we'll see what it runs like when I put the carb back on.
.....the reason I took the carb back off was to replace the fuel/Air screw that I could not adjust.... I put in a CNC machined thumb screw that I can adjust without tools..... set it at 2 1/4 turns out and I will have to adjust it again once it runs.
I've not delt with the loose battery box yet, I will probably get that when I put on the rack. all in all things are looking pirty good on it.
I can hardly wait for warmer weather !

Bob.....