View Single Post
Old August 31st, 2012, 07:23 AM   #13
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgeneral View Post
With the vibration caused by the road and engine, 99% of bolts will wiggle out over time if you don't use any thread-lock (lock-tite). Ask me how I know.
If you properly torque the bolts this is not true.

Quote:
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think you are describing the long engine mounting bolt? I've had this bolt out before, that is however another story about factory defects and poor Kawi service but I digress.

If I have the right bolt in mind it doesn't come out easy. You are correct the force of the frame and motor make it difficult to remove. That said even if it could vibrate loose I don't think the bolt can come all the way out without the fairing being off. There just isn't enough room because of the bolt length.

I'd say the bolt had to have been removed when the fairings were off. If I'm right it then poses the question of why someone would remove it unless you had a significant repair issue.
It is generally necessary to remove that bolt for valve adjustments since the valve cover is difficult/impossible to get off with the mounts attached. Common procedure is to remove long mount bolt and the four bolts above it to let the radiator float forward a bit, then work the cover out.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote