View Single Post
Old May 25th, 2015, 07:57 AM   #13
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Well, I'm still building on the 300, but here's the plan. The parts I have so far are:

K-Tech cartridges fully adjustable
Ohlins KA841 rear shock
Galfer sst brake lines
Vesrah VD 250 RJL pads
Woodcraft clip-ons
Yoshimura Rearset brackets
MotoFairings Inc race bodywork
Dunlop Unbeaten 02 tires (will be getting Alpha 13's when they come out)
Two Bros slip-on (meh. the bike came with it)

About half of that stuff is installed. I am still waiting on the forks from my suspension vendor before I can wrap things up. Some yet to be purchased In the future:

Yoshimura full exhaust (sell the TBR can)
High flow air filter
Power commander with tune for VP fuels MR12
Full floating rotor (maybe, we'll see if I need it) (probably EBC MD4166XC)

I was just going to do Racetech emulators in the forks, but decided I needed adjustability since I may be changing tires. I know that on my supermoto, switching from Dunlops to Pirelli tires and back when I can't afford Pirelli, I had to really change my suspension settings for the Dunlops.

MR12 is oxygenated, and it's basically like 6 free HP on the 300. Well not "free" because that gas is $30 a gallon. It's also a pain because it has to be drained after use or it eats your fuel system. I will probably get a dual tune and only run MR12 on race weekends.

I mainly bought the 300 because the new R3 and RC390 aren't allowed in CCS Ultralight Thunderbike. This race class is a little messed up because it was primarily a 250 class, but they decided to allow the new 300 in it in '13 and that basically started the death of the 250's. Many people still race them, but they aren't competitive anymore and most are making the move to the 300's. The whole situation pissed a few people off and most think that the 300s should not have been allowed. I actually agree, but I bought the 300 to do the best with the rules that I can.

My excitement about the R3 and RC390 has cooled since I found out they both had ****** rear suspension compared to the Ninja. Direct link rear suspension isn't the way for a manufacturer to cheap out because there is no way to fix it in the aftermarket. It sucks when the rear shock bolts directly to the swingarm. Ask me about my old Ninja 650 someday, and why the older SV650 is still a way better bike.

While I don't ride on the road much, I did scoot around on my 300 a bit and I found it makes a much better road bike than the last bunch of bikes I've owned. I may have to fab up some sort of quick change plate, lights and signals setup so I can go for a street ride now and then.
Zaph42 is offline   Reply With Quote