View Single Post
Old June 8th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #28
voidrider
ninjette.org member

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2000 Kawasaki Super Sherpa

I want to touch upon something the OP mentioned that I haven't seen addressed in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampscara View Post
Being short, I cannot see most, if any, of the hood on pretty much every car/truck I've been in. Not being able to see the end of the car makes aiming into a parking space, for instance, rather difficult. Handling for all 3 vehicles I've driven felt awkward and just in general bad (2 cars, 1 truck). Despite discomfort bordering on hating driving,
I will often walk around an unfamiliar vehicle before driving it. I very quickly "get" the feeling for its length and width, as I have extremely good spatial perceptions. I don't need to "see" the front of the car or truck I am driving - and I am a shorty too.

If this is a "spatial perception issue", the form factor of a motorcycle itself be great, as a rider you pretty much see what there is.

BUT, my concern then goes to other issues regarding spatial perception. Does the OP have issues judging speed/distance? These are critical on a motorcycle IMO. You are dealing with traveling along, and continually need to be aware of, and capably judging times and distances of other moving objects. Only she can address with issue.

I feel a LOT of drivers are better drivers for riding motorcycles. I think it heightens situational awareness compared to the dull lack of comprehension so many drivers have when robotically driving to and from work. However, the safety issues of learning to deal with traffic AND learning to ride a motorcycle competently at the same time.. they absolutely do compound each other.

If the OP does feel she may have spatial perception issues, I would suggest against a cruiser, as she may do better with a more "heads up" on top of the bike perspective.
voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.