View Single Post
Old April 28th, 2015, 09:58 AM   #17
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
When I first got my bike, the sales creature tried telling me it wasn't a real bike and I should just get a 600 or 1000 bike since that's what I would upgrade to in 6 months anyway. So it does happen.

There are those who have the impression the 250 is nothing more than a toy and that it can't do what "real" bikes can. They either have never ridden a 250 or merely rode it with the mindset of "beginner bike" and never went anywhere (in skill or experience) with their 250. It's from them you get the whole "A 250 can't [insert activity here]."

The defensiveness comes from when a rider does do those things, and does them well, that being told repeatedly it "can't" or "won't" seems to undermine what that rider has actually done.

I was told early on, before I had done much with my bike, to upgrade and get more power so I could "keep up." I ignored that advice and stopped riding with those who have different goals than me. Now, I am again being told to upgrade, but it is by folks who know and respect the little bike, understand its strengths and weaknesses, and can see I am just now getting to the point where I've maxed out what I want out of my little bike. To them, I am listening and accepting their advice.

Same advice, in both cases, but only one is worth my time and attention. The rest I just smile, or laugh, and politely ignore.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote