View Single Post
Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:01 AM   #56
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
I'm waiting for my insurance company to call me back but here's my understanding:
If you are the cause/fault of the accident then your insurance is what gets involved. Liability covers damage to OTHER people's belongings. Collision covers your own bike. Your Helmet is covered because it is required by law (not sure how this works in states w/o helmet laws). Your gear is NOT covered. I'm trying to get my gear in an amended policy (probably under my home owner's umbrella as a specific 'sporting good' according to my agent)

If you are HIT by someone else then their liability insurance covers anything they damaged physically (medical is different though, Jiggles can probably explain that part better). Basically that means, because this person is at fault, his company will be covering my bike and all my gear.

I just got off the phone with a bike attorney I called yesterday. He suggests I try to get the medical bumped up ($750-1500), and to make sure I get in reimbursment for my loss of use/time having to be spent dealing with this/etc. on top of that in addition to all my gear and the bike.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote