View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2015, 01:07 PM   #24
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
@InvisiBill - all the used newgen shocks on ebay seem to be in the states and it's the shipping charge and the possible extra import tax (I don't always get charged that) that brings it up to ~£100.

Your comment about interfering with the dogbones was kind-of alarming to me! I do know people locally who could do the mod for me, I just feel uneasy about it as I'm not someone that can easily spot issues and tighten up or adjust things to sort them out. The GSXR mod sounds great for someone who is more in touch with their bike and has a good understanding of what the risks and considerations are.

I appreciate your suggestion all the same.
Ah. I can see overseas shipping and taxes adding on a significant amount. It just amazes me that it would cost you 6x what it cost me. Bleh, eBay is stupid. I just did a quick search on the UK site, and even though it converted the US prices into £, it still showed the shipping rates to the US, not the UK. Taking ForceofWill up on his offer (if shipping/import is cheap enough) is less than ideal for your weight, but it gets your bike back to exactly where it was before, for pretty cheap.

Yeah, the GSXR shock is built similar to our stock shocks, where the bottom of the spring extends down pretty close to the bottom of the whole shock unit. The GSXR (and the SV to some extent) use larger diameter springs, so you need to space out the dogbones to provide extra room. This is covered in the DIY, so it shouldn't be something that would surprise you the first time you ride it. Even the SV shock can require some spacing, though a few washers or bowed dogbones (like the ones FOG makes) are enough to accommodate that spring on the 500. http://i.imgur.com/kYFbDcW.jpg is a good pic of how the dogbones interact with a stock-style shock/spring. The aftermarket shocks use a shorter spring section, so there's just sort of a post sticking down to bottom mounting point, meaning much less chance of interference in the dogbone area.

Someone should be able to do the necessary modding to the shock mounting points and include the spacers and bolts necessary to make the GSXR shock a bolt-in upgrade. Due to the low price of the shock compared to its features, it could still be a good deal even if you have to pay someone to do all the work to make it fit (though it's obviously a better deal if you can do the work yourself for free). When you're starting at 1/10 the cost of an aftermarket shock, you have a lot of room to spend and still remain cheaper overall. That's all I was trying to get at.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.