View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2019, 08:49 AM   #220
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Im back again to update this thread. I have spent lots of time thinking about the way I have been riding and what is holding me back. The biggest issue is fear. We all have survival instincts that trigger in certain situations while riding that keep us from doing what we know we should be doing. I have found a few and am working on resolving them in my head and on the street. I doubt I will be on any race track again until May 2020 so this is all I have to work with for now.

I have covered the issue with not being able to hold onto the bike causing mid turn issues and I believe I have this fully sorted now. I still have to get used to trusting that the bike will turn properly but since the issue is gone this should not take long. I still don't have enough confidence in the front feel/grip level but as I slowly get used to the bike turning this should return.

Something I read by @csmith12 recently, really changed my way of thinking about how I ride. @csmith12 said "When I ride I am always either on the brakes or the throttle" (quoted from memory but you get the picture). I have not been riding on the track like this, I do too much coasting and maintenance throttle. Lets take the entry to turn 4 at Palmer, an uphill right hander into a late apex 90 degree turn. I approach at approx. 80-85 mph, roll off earlier than I should turn in around my marker and hold just enough throttle to keep from decelerating then wait for some point where my brain says I can make the turn and begin roll on past the apex. I need to brake some then lean into this turn and apply throttle. Not sure why I don't do this but I have to stop relying on engine braking and use the actual brakes to be more consistent at turn entry. This is just one example of what I am seeing in my videos that needs work.

Several people have pointed out that I am making all my inputs too slowly. My turn in is not fast enough and this is effecting the rest of the turn. I have been riding on the track the same way I ride on the road just faster, I need to stop being extra cautious and get more aggressive. On the street, I always ride gently (different than smooth) because you cant trust the road surface to have the grip you may suspect is there. I can ride a quick street pace and still be fairly cautious but this does not translate to the track. I know I can ride like I should but need to get over the "road" programming in my head.

The final Issue I have is the power of my bike. Since I don't know where the maximum level of traction is, I always roll on less than I should to prevent breaking the rear tire free or pushing the front. When I rode my wifes 250 on the Palmer track I had no issue running hard and was much better with roll on and even braking into turns. I have to stop being a pussy with the controls and just ride it like it should be done. Again many of the problems over the last few years like, limited riding time, hanging front calipers, poor body position and all the rest have taken me backwards a little but I really feel I have some of it sorted and most of it figured out now I just have to apply what I have learned. 2020 should be a really incredible season for me.

I am also planning on doing a bit of dirt bike riding which should help me practice some of these things and get used to the bike sliding and moving around under me.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote