Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:26 PM   #10
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
So I am riding semi aggressively on the street. Looking through the turns and all. I am finding that I can look so far ahead my turn in point goes out of my FOV. Sometimes I have to look again to ensure I hit the turn in point. This doesn't happen to me on the track.
I am doing my research but can't find much on this topic. What are the limits to how far ahead you can look. Is it purely your FOV or is it relative to speed?
Great post! I have actually had the OPPOSITE experience where I had to adjust my cornering visual skills from street habits to track. In my mountain experience, I had gotten into the habit of looking as FAR through the corner as possible to give me ample time to react if there was a hazard ahead. The downside is I, too, lost track of my turn-in points, but it wasn't a big deal because on the streets I try not to push much speed. However, this was a big reason I crashed at the track. On the track, you know there are corners where you can literally see the end before you even enter it. Picture one of those types of corners. I was in such a habit of looking at the very last point my eyes could see in the corner that I looked at the exit before ever locating my turn in point. I thought I was on target, looking through the corner at the exit, but come to find out, I was farther outside than I thought. Leaning on gator strips equaled crash.
My opinion is that on the street (when we're not riding as aggressively), you look as far as your sight will allow to give you time to react if you have an obstacle ahead. Since your speed won't be as fast as it is on the track (hopefully), having an idea of your turn in points is important, but most crucial is making sure you have time to react if there is a danger ahead.
At my most recent track day, I found myself choosing my turn-in points better. As soon as I knew for sure my bike would go right there no matter what, I would lead with my head and look to either the next turn in point or toward the exit of the corner.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote