View Single Post
Old October 23rd, 2020, 06:15 AM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseSpicer View Post
Hey all,

I just finished doing a carb swap and after I did some tuning to the idle and mixture screws I was running fine. This all ended after finishing up an hourish ride with my buddy. I was near my house when my bike started putting out white/gray smoke from the exhaust and rapidly fluctuating rpm without me moving the throttle. I got it home as quick as I could and took a look at everything. The only things I noticed was the tube connected to the bottom of my airbox (and maybe to the crank/cam housing - not sure) was loose and I also realized the I never attached one of the two metal bands that holds the airbox to the carburetor. The next day I fixed both issues, and also emptied out some oil (I noticed that I had over a decent amount over the max fill line when held upright), but now when I start the bike without choke my bike idles at 4-5000 rpm. And will occasionally stall after a while if I don't apply choke or mess with the idle screw.

Any thoughts appreciated

Also I forgot to mention that I have not noticed any smoke since the other day.
I would say either you have a vacuum leak (between the carb and the engine) or the choke mechanism is sticking either internally or externally.

A vacuum leak could be a clamp is not secure or even cracks in the rubber manifold. Spraying around that area with carb cleaner when it's idling and listening for a change in RPMs will tell you if you have a leak.

Your initial oil/smoke issue sounds like it was related to the over-fill, so you should be good after draining the excess.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote