View Single Post
Old November 27th, 2017, 02:19 AM   #3
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldent View Post
I know this is a Kawasaki forum, but all of the other honda-related forums aren't nearly as active. And I like you guys and gals better.

a used (obviously) 1989 honda vtr 250 just became available near me; asking price is $1k.

I'm ok with it being older and slightly high mileage (but appropriate for its age). The only thing that does worry me is parts availability for something that's nearly 30 years old and only had a 3 year life-span in the US.

I'm not asking for places to buy parts, I'll look that up on my own; I want to know if that should be red flag for buying a bike in general.
I've kept a 1982 Honda FT500 single alive since it's purchase in June of 2006. You'll find that online retailers will have basic parts like tires, brake pads, chain and sprockets, oil filters - basic stuff. If you buy it you'll get real friendly with eBay. I can guarantee that your local Honda dealer won't have much stuff. You can check retailers like partzilla.com and Cheap cycle parts.com to get an idea what might still be available. My FT500 was only made for two years so you want to find out how many years the Honda's basic engine format was manufatured. The longer the better.

Bill