View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2017, 02:48 PM   #20
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
Yes, Honda-weird is definitely a thing. But when it works it works great.

My VFR800 has the weird but wonderful gear-driven camshafts (the sound is wonderful and it's such a durable and accurate method of camshaft control). And the VFR800 has the equally weird Aluminum Powder-Metal Composite cylinder liners that just refuse to wear out or deform or manifest any of the other age-related problems that other cylinder liner materials often have. And the VFR800 has the beautiful and convenient single-sided swingarm.

I'll concede that the weirdness of the VFR800's Linked Braking System definitely falls into the Love/Hate category. Pure performance oriented riders (racers, track-day rats, and serious road racers) all hate the linked brakes. But everyone else loves them.
Yeah, I remember Honda even experimented with oval (rather than round) pistons. You should see the Rube Goldberg starter mechanism on the Honda FT500 single. It gives owners fits until you figure out how to properly maintain it. Then there's the single/dual overhead cam craziness which works surprisingly well.

Bill