Old May 9th, 2018, 06:14 AM   #89
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
It does get easier with experience. What you'll find is that once you've got both spools in the cradles and with just a little force on the stand handle, the bike is very stable. As long as you don't let go of the stand handle, it's not going anywhere and you're free to get into a position where you can push down hard and lift the bike.

Before I had my Ninjette all my bikes had center stands so I never needed a paddock stand. Finally got one with the 250 and it was nerve-wracking... and I dropped the bike more than once. I used the block-under-the-kickstand trick for quite a while.

But now that I'm track riding, I lift bikes all the time... multiple times per day... and it's become second nature to do it with one hand on the tail and the other on the stand. Learned more or less from necessity, because I was always misplacing the darned block.

Sequence is:

Coming down off the paddock stand, just make sure the handlebars are turned to the left and the kickstand is down. The bike will naturally fall to the left and land on the kickstand.
Thanks a lot for the tips.

While you're here: one of the main reasons I bought he paddock stand was to remove pressure from the left side of the tyres when the bike is standing unused for a long time over winter. I heard that if you don't use a bike for along period, you can also get mechanical issues. Would it be sufficient to periodically start the bike on the stand and pop it into first gear and leave it running for a bit?