View Single Post
Old July 6th, 2014, 12:28 PM   #1
soonerbillz
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ex250

Shifting Woes....

Yesterday I took my '03 Ex250 to Hallett to get some time on the bike.. After initially having a minor issue with the fuel switch I had a great first two sessions and then the shifter started giving me a hard time.. kept hanging when downshifting and finally it got stuck in gear and I had to pull off track..
Recently after getting the build finished and I was test riding the bike around the shifter got stuck in gear and I just could not get the thing out of gear. I thought maybe a internal issues but I had all new gears and parts.. . when I pulled the clutch cover I messed with the engagement arms and manually turned the drum and was able to get it out of gear. I was looking at the shift shaft and arms and it seemed like the shaft had a lot of side movement and thought maybe the arms were getting hung up because of this . I had another shaft from a low mile motor and it looked in good condition so I put that one in.. Again it seemed to have the same issue.. to much side movement. The retaining clip seemed locked in and the arms seemed lined up properly on the drum. Buttoned everything up and took it out for a test and it shifted perfectly.. Sweet.. Flash forward to Hallett.. Everything is going good and bam it locks up in gear again. I took the clutch case off again, checked the arms and the drum... same problem. I manually turned the drum.. it fell out of gear and then the shifter worked again.. Anyone have any ideas?
soonerbillz is offline   Reply With Quote