View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2022, 08:48 AM   #21
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Also roll other wheel onto piece of 2x4 both wheels are level with scale.

It's not springs, it's damping that affects ride-quality aspects you're talking about. Turn down high/low-speed compression damping.

Also, your lowered bike is probably bottoming out on bumps. Sag should be about 1" not 4"! When there's no more suspension-travel, full force of impacts comes through. Remedy for this is actually stiffer springs to work with less travel. Increase preload and raise rear-end back up and you'll find it's much more comfortable!

Most likely pivot-bearings in your swingarm and linkage are dry and need greasing. I do complete teardown of suspension and grease everything every winter. Makes HUGE difference in ride-quality. Quick test on your bike would be to remove rear-wheel and disconnect lower shock. Test moving swingarm up and down by hand. If not glass smooth, definitely needs cleaning and greasing.
Danno.... there is no sag.... none at all just flex of the tire !
I had my Kid bounce on it with the new spring installed and I could not see the swing arm flex at all just the tire flex....
I suspect that the spring I just installed is too strong at 537lbs...
... this time I lubed the link and pivots and found they were extremely hard to turn I got the center one to pivot under it's own weight finally after spending 10 minutes turning it by hand I didn't do that to the other 2 pivots I just lubed them good with white grease.... they are definitely stiff !
I'm thinking that all the stiffness from every pivot point is adding up to freeze the rear swingarm completely I think I will loosen the bolts on the link, just to be sure there is some give, and give it a ride ( not far)
and see if it rides better....
all those pivots were bone dry only one had grease in it the one that attaches to the swing arm from the link.... the other 2 were bone dry and near impossible to turn by hand .... I don't understand that.... this is a new bike !
ok someone didn't lube the rear suspension i get that.... but would that make it so tight it wouldn't even flex ? or perhaps the bolts are too tight and locking the things in place so they can't pivot ? ....
the center bushings that ride on the bearings are supposed to be able to be crushed and still pivot that's why the bolts are supposed to be tight
but it acts like they lock up the entire suspension !!!! WTF !
.... I got more thinking to do on this.... something ain't right !
Bob......