View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2022, 05:32 PM   #40
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

yes seems like a bike of extremes to me .... LOL
so if it has a 3:1 ratio on the link that would explain the super hard spring
it takes more spring pressure to hold the bike up.... but it looks like they went over board..and put in too much spring....
I wonder if it's a viable idea to remove the linkage and weld in a bracket on the rear swing arm and get a new shock and hook it directly..... not really worth thinking about actually ..especially since I only need the right spring and it should work great !
makes me wonder if there would be an easy way to increase that leverage
and use the stock spring ... like a 1/2" extension to one of the pivots or something like that....
....Not being able to measure these springs and get their rates is really hampering me ! I can't even make an educated guess on their rate as they are just too stiff for anything I have available....
.... I bet I could squeeze the springs in the tailstock of the lathe though
but I would need a thin scale that goes to 1000 pounds
I could easily measure any spring then so it might be worth buying a scale ...if I can find one that would do the trick....
.... the Mill also has a good ability to compress a spring like that.....
it might upset my little mill though ! LOL I made a camper jack Knee for it and it can lift over 1200 lbs with the knee alone.
I'll see if I can find a scale that would work !
Bob......