Thread: GP Shift.
View Single Post
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #22
speedgsx98
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 250 ninja 2002, 2008 ZX10-R

I ran a upside-down(race) pattern on my GSXR 750. It helps for two reasons.

1) Typically you brake prior to the corner and set your corner entry speed before to getting the bike into a full lean. Sometimes after mid corner with the bike still leaned over pretty far, with a standard shift pattern, there's little or no room for your foot to fit underneath the shifter to upshift coming out of the corner. Not only that, but in addition to contacting the ground just from lean angle alone, if you hit a bump mid corner, that 1/2" or 1" you had between your foot and the ground just diminished snagging your foot on the ground, and ripping it backwards. After this happened a few times, I switched to race pattern and never looked back.

2) Also on my GSXR, I became quite the wheelie fanatic. You can up-shift about 3 times quicker pushing down using a race pattern, compared to pulling up your foot with a standard pattern. When up-shifting during a wheelie, a standard pattern is even slower since your body is at a different angle. (If you don't believe me, back your chair away from your desk and imagine yourself doing a wheelie. Your back stays in the same position, handlebars come closer, and lift your feet about 18 inches off the ground. Now, try to upshift. You'll notice your toe won't pivot up for the upshift, but only kicks out to the left alittle bit.) Because of this, you have to jerk your whole leg to shift during a wheelie, which upsets the chassis of the bike, giving you a wobble at 110mph on the 2nd-3rd gear shift that is not good!

3) Because you can shift so much faster during a wheelie, you don't have to get the bike quite at the dangerous balance point to shift. Instead you can shift at a safer wheelie angle with the front wheel closer to the ground. If one was going to become a wheelie stud on any bike, race pattern is the key IMO

Seeing as I won't be doing any wheelie's on this bike, and don't really plan on leaning it over that far, I'll prob just leave it standard. Plus, the wife will have just gotten out of the MSF course this weekend. Don't want to confuse her too bad!

But yeah, after a day or two of riding in "reverse", you should make no more mistakes. Problem comes when you ride other's bikes =)
speedgsx98 is offline   Reply With Quote