Old August 9th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #901
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
Is there a big difference in wheel size? A few selections are 26" vs 29". Also, I hear you can put 2.3" tires on 700c rims on MTB that come with 26" tires.

a qoute from MTB forums that a few people have agreed with and shown proof.

a 23c tire on a 700c rim is about 26" in diameter, a 2.3" tire on a 700c rim is called a 29er"

Hence, 700c wheels with small tires working quite well in 26" mtb frames

So, should I worry much about which of the bikes you guys mentioned in terms of tires? I will most likely be putting road (or "fast") tires on the hardtail that I choose.

Edit: And where the hell is @Apex ? Would like to hear from him as well. If not, Giant will be getting my money without contest lol
Haha your so confused you can't change wheel sizes on a bike normally so your type of frame sets that. You can change tire width and thread patterns and that make all the difference in rolling speed. 700c wheels typically come with a narrower rim grove so they hold a thin 23mm wide tire better. The 26" or 29" wheels typically Mtb wheels come with a wider rim to better hold a 2" or bigger tire. The narrower the tire the light the wheel and easier it is to get up to speed. The wider the tire the heavier the wheel and slower to get up to speed.

You shouldn't give a rats ass about how quick it turns because its a ****ing bicycle, they all turn to easy already. Just remember Wider tire are more comfortable and narrower tires are faster. The 26", 29", 650c, 700c are an afterthought to the other more important things your looking for.

If you get a 26" wheeled bike you can run specialized fatboy tires that are 1.5 inch slicks and roll very fast. My first dozen or so group road rides were on my Mtb with fatboy slicks. All the roadies wearing team gear were all dumbfounded that they could drop the kid wearing cargo short, pull over cotton t-shirt riding a **** Mtb going 28mph.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote