View Single Post
Old June 14th, 2018, 09:31 AM   #41
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
I get a kick from riding "fast" with flow. By "flow", I mean: working myself at the peak of my ability for a sustained period of time. If I go beyond my own ability I get out of flow; I experience sketchy moments and I lose that sense of control and domination over my bike my environment. If I go well under my peak ability I also lose my flow: I get bored and sometimes I experience sketchy moments due to being distracted or unfocused.

I also get a kick from hearing my engine scream, from being leaned over in a corner and from feeling strong forces as I accelerate or brake hard.

I also like managing all the risks and dangers of the road in real time. It takes skill, attention, prediction, trained reflex and a warrior-like commitment to action in the face of danger.

Finally: when I'm riding fast with flow I like not experiencing certain things. I like that I don't experience mind chatter or worries. I like that I don't experience anything social or judgemental. I like that my empathy is tuned down so my experience becomes more about me. When I'm riding fast with flow it's just me in my universe doing one thing and doing it with all of my mind, body and attention.

That's what motivates me to ride fast.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.