Old August 27th, 2023, 01:32 AM   #48
jk3099
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
compression test
Thanks; I finally got around to doing this (been a crazy busy last few weeks, sadly). Here are my results (all in PSI):

Without Oil:
Left Cylinder: 70, 70, 70
Right Cylinder: 70, 70, 70

With Oil:
Left Cylinder: 80, 78, 76
Right Cylinder: 70, 72, 72

I know this is way too low to even get this to run, and I guess I'll be focusing on the engine next. What should I be considering next? Piston rings? My methods are below if you want to check my work (note about valve adjustments at the end).

Methods:
All done with the throttle held fully opened, battery fully charged beforehand, valves adjusted, and cranking for 8-10 seconds while also watching to ensure the max compression value was reached. When testing a cylinder, I left the other spark plug in (ex: if testing the left cylinder, the right spark plug was still in). Each test was done without oil and then with oil three times on each cylinder. I also checked to make sure there were no leaks between the carbs and airbox/engine. I used the "PITTSBURGH AUTOMOTIVEQuick-Connect Compression Tester" from Harbor Freight (is it possible this is what gave me low values?).

Valve Adjustment Note: I triple-checked (after finishing all my adjustments) my valves to ensure that the intake valves were .08 - .13mm and the exhaust valves were .11 - .16mm. Every time I adjusted one, I ended up checking them all, so I'm pretty confident that the valves should be to spec.
jk3099 is offline   Reply With Quote