View Single Post
Old June 22nd, 2017, 09:50 PM   #7778
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Not work on the Ninjette, but work never the less.

A good friend I go riding with has a Suzuki M50 stopped by to go for a ride, he just got a new front tire, and as asking me about brakes, he said the front was feeling spongy.

So I looked and the brake fluid was the color of Coca-Cola, I said at the very least he should flush and fill it, then I got that look, so into the house I well and got my tools out, and just did it for him.

End result is he was happy with it, he said it never felt that good, and firm, lots of feel. I told him when it's time for new shoes bring it back, and I service the caliper as well.
I bleed my brake annually. That's not necessary you say. Let me tell you that after one year in the bike the brake fluid changed from crystal clear to a slight amber color. I guess I'm cautious because my other bike is a dinosaur and was only made for two years. The only way I've kept it running for eight years was eBay parts and a-lot of TLC. I belonged to a website like this one that features this bike and read horror stories about guys brakes going south and they couldn't get parts. Most of these bike wind up getting parted-out on eBay. Brake fluid is hydroscopic and absorbs water like a sponge. I even once where H2O can even migrate through rubber brake lines (I to this day have my doubts about that). Once a can of brake fluid is opened I never use what's left over - I have another job for that. If you think about it it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to completely flush your brakes and it costs about $5.00. Why not. When I bought my Ninja in March it was the first thing I did. The 10 year old brake fluid was the color of root beer and I could see small black particles run out of the wheel cylinders as I was bleeding the brakes. But, most owners don't keep their bikes for more than two years so they don't give a toot.

Just sayin'.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote