View Single Post
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:05 PM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I spent all of (well, the rest of) Wednesday camped out at the motel, resting and checking over my bike to ensure everything had survived intact and well.. it didn't.

So, I ended up buying a new tire long before I had planned to. Looking back and now comparing my current tire, I am convinced something went wrong with this one. I was missing a wheel weight so maybe that did it. But the new rear tire is the same brand and it has survived the return trip with no problems. I also noticed that the Scottoiler had run out and my chain was a little dryer than I would have liked. Refilled the reservoir and sprayed on some lube to try to help it out again. Pizza for the night and a lot of movies. Unfortunately, this cost me a visit to see @ally99 Earlier, I had hoped to meet up with @Motofool, but alas our schedules couldn't align for this trip.

Thursday June 19 2014: Northbound Day 1

Mileage 519 miles
Time: 12:30 (6:16am-6:47pm PDT)
Moving: 8:16
Stopped: 4:14

Moving Average: 63 mph

My only goal today was to get north to Newark where another friend had offered up his guest room to crash in. So I gave myself two days to get up there and took my time and visited some historical sites. Its odd for me coming from out west to places back east that only exist in history books for me. Seeing signs that point out battlefields, or forts, or plantations, or the like was completely surreal. Visiting places where slaves were housed made me sick at our own history but loving how far we've come in a relatively short time.

The Kingsley Plantation

Also stopped by the remains of an old British fort. I was in awe at the size of the place, always having pictured that forts were just the building along the place needed defending. I was not expecting the small town that surrounded the main fort and was enclosed in the outer wall.

Fort Fredrica

I made my way through Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina. Sadly, I was too late to get a visit in with @JohnnyBravo so opted to just continue north and see how far I could get. Answer: Fayetteville. Whoa nellie where did this storm come from?! It dumped so hard and fast I had to find shelter.

The storm broke about 15 minutes later and I made a bee line for the nearest town. Managed to get as far as Benson before the National Weather Service began screaming in my ear again and I pulled in for the night. Which turned out to be a good thing as I was rudely awoken by a huge thunderclap at 1am. I looked outside and was quite impressed at the biblical monsoon coming down outside my window.

Yeah, I think I'll stay here for tonight.

Friday June 20 2014: Northbound Day 2

Mileage 529 miles
Time: 11:56 (4:00am-3:56pm PDT)
Moving: 8:59
Stopped: 2:57

Moving Average: 59 mph

Ok, a little further south than I intended to end the night in, so had to reevaluate my route. I did have one goal for today, go to Kill Devil Hills, more widely known as Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. I HAD to see where the Wright Brothers started it all. So mapped out the route and I was off. I do have to say one thing about I-95, hope you like green. The trees walled in the interstate so well I wasn't entirely sure if I was passing through or around or even near towns. The only other place I had seen such greenery was up in Oregon, but the pine trees are much closer to the road and the green is deeper and darker. This was bright even if I couldn't see anything. I turned east at Rocky Mount and made my way out to the most laughably named place I encountered: The Alligator River. *River*?! RIVER?? I was honestly beginning to believe that not even Lake Tahoe is that wide! Unfortunately, the narrow lanes with few passing zones I am very familiar with and when traffic began backing up, I began looking for opportunities. Thankfully, everyone was spaced just right that at each passing zone I was able to play hop scotch all the way to the front of the line and I made it to the bridge onto Roanoke Island first. Zoom zoom! I was now on my way out to the Outer Banks.

Interesting place, and it was funky seeing the buildings and houses designed to be on the very outer edge of land. It was so crowded that I never saw the ocean but I could feel it in the humidity. Got to the Wright Brothers National Memorial and collected my stamp before visiting the site.

Looking at the time, I realized I needed to get moving in order to make it to my friend's house at 5. So, back on the road and northward I go. I aimed for Norfolk and Virginia Beach and Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. This just looked too cool to not go ride across. I even got an email as I was filling up from another rider giving some advice about crossing and what I would find on the other side. Sorry not still pictures, I'll work on the video later. But that was a wild ride, being so far above the water and then diving straight down below the Bay. It would be impossible but I was imagining what glass walls would look like. The road came up again for breath and cruised above the water again. I saw an odd passage coming up before I realized it was the mouth of another tunnel. Back under the water we went! Wheee!! I think I got my $15 of fun out of that section.

As I went up the Delmarva (did I get that right?) peninsula, I began noticing a very curious thing. All the little churches have their own little cemeteries. Even some homes had a few plots out from with well cared for headstones. The only cemeteries I am used to are large ones that are along the edge of town that everyone is buried in. Sure, each religion has their own section, but everyone is in the same area. Seeing these little places was just too interesting, I had to stop and get pictures.

I also discovered toll roads for the first time and found that my preparation in getting a transponder failed due to my placement of the gizmo. Of all the roads i crossed, only one read correctly, so I ended up just paying cash all over the place. New motto, always have bunches of $1's available. Managed to make it to Newark where my friend was waiting. We headed out for a delicious dinner and a stroll around downtown admiring the construction of the University. Something about old buildings just makes me stop and stare. I love them!

On the drive back to his place, he pointed out the side of the road. There, among the bushes and trees, were little twinkling lights. No.. FIREFLIES!! OMG actual real live lightning bugs!! Being from Nevada, I had never seen these things in person. So naturally I chased a few around his yard.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.

Last futzed with by NevadaWolf; July 14th, 2014 at 08:15 PM.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.