Old October 24th, 2016, 06:44 AM   #23
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Pretty much, yeah.

You'll find that touring-type boots are basically just shin-high leather boots that zip up, with smooth soles and something to protect the toe of the boot from shifter wear. Most if not all also have a stiff panel over the shin, to protect against stones and such. These boots will offer ankle support similar to ordinary work boots, i.e. they will allow your ankle to flex, which means you can walk around in them without a lot of discomfort.

There are a few reasons to get boots like these instead of heading down to Walmart and just buying a pair of work boots:
  • No laces means that nothing can get untied and tangled up in your chain.
  • Toe protector keeps the boot's upper from wearing out (I actually did wear a hole in the toe of a pair of work boots from the shifter awhile back).
  • Smooth sole lets you move your feet on the pegs more easily.

Many race boots have more support, often through a plastic exoskeleton. They're a bit like a cross between a leather boot and a downhill ski boot. They offer little or no lateral flex, making them a literal pain to walk in.

The reasons to go for a race boot instead of a touring boot:
  • Increased support to prevent ankle injury.
  • Generally more robust materials and fastening systems.

FYI my everyday commuting boots are Bilt perforated Trackstars, which are no longer offered. Serviceable, and despite the name are really a touring-type boot. Once broken in, they're comfortable enough to wear all day. Track boots are Sidi ST Airs, bought used.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote