View Single Post
Old November 1st, 2021, 06:16 PM   #32
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Howdy Danno ! I got "Triumph Norton BSA Wassell Vape Electronic Ignition Kit 12V PN# TBS-06-1495" thingie.... for $149.95....
and a set of 6V coils to go with it as they must have them
other than that I don't know one kit from another at all.... their supposed to replace the points....that's all I care about ! LOL
I got it from "The Bonneville shop" in Colorado. I've been getting alot of stuff from them... most of the prices are reasonable but a few things are ridiculously high.... like exhaust pipes !
I checked with J&P cycle but they have a blanket can't send to california on most of their stuff.... very lame !
I was going to make up a points eliminator unit for my 305 honda several decades ago but as I got into the advance part of the electronics My Math skills failed me ! and I was reduced to guessing... so I gave up on the whole affair !... what I designed was fairly simple, but when you start getting into the spark advance that gets complicated real fast.... it's easier to buy one that works out of the box ! HAHAHAHA

... I bought a points eliminator thing for a lawnmower for like 12 bucks
one time but I discovered it didn't replace the points at all, it was the points in the little black box that had to be at a certain place outside the flywheel magnet.... it just has a reed switch in it ! plus...it never worked !
electronic ignition really caught on like wildfire, back when it was first introduced.... it was cheaper and by far better.... some of them had a tendency to fry, but later versions fixed that ... now nothing uses points at all... even lawn mower engines are pointless now.... LOL
according to The Bonneville shop the different brands are pretty much the same and all are bullet proof so I took a wild guess and pulled the trigger on it .... and their on the way.....
I got intake studs & nuts
Electronic ignition and Coils
carb flange rings that thread on so the boots won't get tore up
intake gaskets
sparkplugs
TDC indicator tool.
all coming now...
I did not get a high altitude jet for each carb, though I probably will soon....because I live at 3941'ASL and that probably part of the BLACK PLUG PROBLEM....
but we'll see how it runs first.
now if I can figure out how to get that gas tank off without loosing all the fuel I'll be good to go ! ( i'm just going to empty the tank using a syphoning hose....LOL)

later !
Bob.........