Thread: 49.4 mpg?
View Single Post
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #1
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

49.4 mpg?

So I finally made it to the gas station for two consecutive fill-ups, and I was less than impressed with my mileage. Now I think it's mostly how I ride, but it is possible that part of it is due to my jetting as well?
When I ride, I tend to take off hard from lights (and I wonder why my WRX is down to 18 mpg), and I don't shift very much - I tend to ride in the upper range of the RPMs rather than shifting and staying in lower RPMs. For example, I didn't even realize it yesterday, but when I was on the highway heading to work, I never actually shifted into 6th - I had been too busy focusing on the cages as I was getting on, and trying to quickly and smoothly accelerate, that when I started down the mountain, I didn't think about shifting again.... most of our 70 mile ride yesterday was in the 40 - 55 mph range and I was mostly in 3rd, shifting up to 4th above 47 or so when I just couldn't take the whine anymore... I just really prefer to be in the lower gear if I can, as then I don't have to downshift as much for curves and turns...
I guess my question is, does this seem normal? If I shift more, will I get better mileage?

On a completely unrelated note for the most part, I have been more and more impressed with her the more I ride. If I didn't know that hte only thing I changed last week was putting in HIDs and wiring in some LED accessory signals and brake lights, I would swear that I had done a performance mod to her. She just seemed much more responsive, and lighter, and peppy. I've been using that damn elliptical trainer we bought every night for 30 minutes (as I sit here with the ice pack on my knees after using it), and I've seen very noticeable changes in muscle tone in my core, glutes, thighs, calves, arms.... I guess my increasing fitness could be part of it, but she felt amazing yesterday!