Old October 13th, 2018, 08:20 PM   #3
hilli_micha
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
You've definitely got a "ticking sound" there, although I would say it's more of a "clatter". Good job on the videos, often people post cell phone videos that are so bad you can't hear the noise they're talking about.

It sounds like something's up with the engine's Cam Chain. In the video it sounds like the Cam Chain isn't being properly tensioned which means it will lash when the engine RPMs decelerate. When you rev the engine the Cam Chain gets pulled into an smooth, organized form, but when the engine slows it sends a shock through the Cam Chain and it gets disorganized and lashes for a while, then slowly smoothes back out.

I think your first troubleshooting step should be to remove, clean, re-grease and properly re-install the Cam Chain Tensioner (following the Service Manual, base manual, procedure Chapter 4, pages 4-7 to 4-8, instead of just guessing at how the thing is supposed to be handled).

It could be as simple as a tensioner thats not doing its job.
Greg,

I think you are right. After I posted this I did some research, the sound from my end definitely sounds like a chain moving around so my research lead to the CCT causing a bit of a fuss, evidently it's a super common issue with these bikes. So I lead

I popped off my CCT, cleaned it, lubed it up real nice (with engine oil), and reinstalled as per procedure and the sound has disappeared. Fortunately the CCT looked to be in good shape, no burring or scoring, just the oil that was on it looked a bit old and gummy, which is strange the oil in the engine is only a couple of months old.

Oh well, I know now that this is something to keep a constant eye on.

Thanks for the reply!
hilli_micha is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.