View Single Post
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #85
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

What's a "Dee... Veee..... Arrrrrr?"

*cough*torrents*cough* (plus RSS downloader = shows ready to watch when I wake up)

I'm a huge movie fanatic and TV fan to a lesser extent so this is going to be a rather verbose post.. sorry.

As of tomorrow my family will have been cable-free for exactly 1 year. Don't miss it too much, except for when History channel actually shows something that isn't crappy pseudo-reality TV - Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Ice Road Truckers, et. al. - and actually deals with history; do miss Modern Marvels a bit though. Miss the Discovery, Science, and Military channels but not too much when I think about the fact I'd never get to watch any of those channels anyway.

With a 6-year-old and a 20-month-old at home watching live TV usually consists of news & maybe a Simpson's re-run, and occasionally Letterman's monologue. Everything I watch is d/l'd which is nice since it's edited to remove commercials. My wife doesn't really follow any shows but I got her hooked on a couple of shows. I usually don't get a chance to keep up with shows throughout the season, so I end up just d/l'ing the whole season and watching it over the summer. Here's what I watch:

Top Gear - Best. Show. Ever! (US version is meh, but I'm giving it a chance, the first few seasons of TG UK weren't very good either)
Chuck - absolutely love the geeky references to older movies, perfect for nerds like me in our 30's. Haven't seen a single ep from this season yet.
30 Rock - not sure if it's going to still be good once Baldwin leaves this season
Fringe - schlocky Sci-Fi, probably wouldn't have stuck around if it weren't for Walter. Haven't seen any of this season yet though.
Smallville - this is my guilty pleasure show, and Erica Durance... ahhh.. yeah, yum. Hated the Lana/Clark crap, was so glad when they got rid of her as a primary character.
Mythbusters - pseudo-science made entertaining, although I'm growing a bit tired of the "let's blow some sh*t up" theme that occurs each week.
Futurama - own every season on DVD, sooooo glad it came back.
Hawaii Five-0 - one of those shows I was like "really? they're remaking this?" when I heard about it, then after half-way through the season I heard it was pretty good I went back and d/l'd it and it's actually pretty entertaining. I really like Scott Caan's sarcasm in his role as Dan-o. It's my guilty pleasure show that'll replace Smallville after it's done this season.
The Simpsons - still watching this more out of routine, it has its moments but a long way off from its heyday in the early-mid 90's.
Family Guy - another show that's more of a routine, loved it when it first ran but since it came back it went downhill quickly. Really liked the Star Wars episodes, except the last one, it was weak. Own most of the seasons on DVD but I've been contemplating selling off seasons that came out after it returned to TV.
The Walking Dead - Okay, I haven't watched this yet but I can't wait to, I want to do a marathon viewing and just watch all the episodes in a 1-2 day sitting and haven't had the opportunity

Shows I use to watch:
Lost - actually got my wife hooked on this one
The Good Guys - had never previously gotten disappointed when a show got cancelled until this one. Loved this show and much to my surprise my wife did too.
Better Off Ted - I'd probably feel the same way I do about The Good Guys had I caught this show when it was airing. I went back and watched it after it had been cancelled for awhile, loved it. I held onto the shows on my PC to watch when I just need to kill 20 minutes.

I have a friend at work that has cable and lives for watching TV, we have a lot of similar tastes so he's always recommending shows to me. At his suggestion I do plan to go back and start watching Burn Notice, maybe Archer, and a newer show on F/X called Justified.

My actual home theater setup is a Panasonic Viera TC-P50V10, Sony STR-DN1000 7.1 Receiver, oooollldd Cerwin Vega 5.1 speaker system (by far the weakest link in my system), with a PS3 handling my Blu-Ray/media streaming duties. TV is handled by a Monoprice Indoor/Outdoor HD antenna (LOOOVE this thing, $20 purchase to save me hundreds of dollars for cable TV) ran through my attic and split off to the bedrooms/family room. Everything in the family room is ran through the receiver so we're always getting digital audio. Master bedroom has a Samsung LN32C350 32" LCD on the wall hooked up to an LG BD570 blu-ray player that's also networked so it doubles as a media player as well. House is wired with Cat6e to network everything (all audio/network cabling done myself, TYVM ). Shows are streamed off my Win7 machine, hate media center so I just use network shares to access the files.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote