View Single Post
Old October 29th, 2015, 06:56 PM   #15
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
oh yeah, I never actually gave an answer to the question other than "get training"

you'll basically go by feel, I personally have always had warning before I crashed when I've crashed due to going over the limits slightly. The only times I haven't were when I flipped on grass after being pushed wide to the inside of a chicane and when I smacked my exhaust on a curb which lead to a near instant loss of rear traction. All of the lowsides I have experienced on open pavement were cases where I could have saved it by abandoning the corner but I committed anyway, my more recent one even was so gradual I had the time and ability to try to pick the bike back on the front wheel as the bike was headed where I wanted to go anyway (I didn't )

The tires speak to you when they get close to the limit, some more than others. There is a distinct feeling that I can't quite describe but you'll know when you start feeling it. For me it was most recently the front end chattering that I could feel through the bars while at maximum lean at speed. I felt this for 10 laps feeling like I was about to loose grip every corner before it finally went. Having a very loose grip on the bars works to allow the front a better chance to maintain grip on it's own while also allowing you to feel more through them. The rear you seem to have a bit of a feel for already

Disclaimer: I can only speak from personal experience so take that with a grain of salt