View Single Post
Old February 20th, 2020, 05:56 PM   #3
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
First, verify your oil-filter is not soaking with oil. Only need two-layers of spray-oil per side.

Next, with bike level and rested overnight, make sure it's not over-filled with oil. You should see bubble of top of oil-level in sight glass.

Make sure crankcase vent-tube is NOT clogged. That's tube connecting rear of engine to air-box at bottom.

Do warm compression-test first and post results here. Do dry and wet test with oil squirted down spark-plug hole. Depending upon tester used, it should read anywhere from 120-180psi.

Then do leak-down test to determine if it's rings or valves that's leaking. You might just need valve-adjustment.

Last ditch-effort, do piston-soak and see if it improves. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=343925

This bike won't have an airbox, its got a filter on it. I have done that mixture in the past with an old pregen 250, So I am familiar with it.

I have not done a valve adjustment before but I have feeler gauges to check them.

When I get the bike next week I will post back with what I find on the compression numbers, thank you!
daverdfw is offline   Reply With Quote