View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2021, 06:16 PM   #4
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
You got some good replies in the thread on the other forum, but I'll repeat some of what was said for the benefit of anyone else who stumbles across this thread.

The connector looks like it's a Yazaki HS025.

If you can figure out how to get the pins out of the housing, it should be relatively simple to crimp/solder (assuming you've got the tools/skills to do that) a new $0.15 terminal on the wire and stick it back in the housing. The biggest issue is probably the 1/4" of wire length you're losing, if it's that tight to begin with. Or just cut the other wire at the plug and install a whole new $2.85 plug on the end of the wires.

If you email Joe at Cycle Terminal, he may be able to give you some tips for getting the connector apart. Some of those are fairly complicated multi-piece housings that have to be assembled in a certain order to end up with a nice sealed final product. And some are designed to never really come apart once they're assembled too.

You could technically replace it with basically any sealed 2-pin connector. However, that means you're modifying both the harness and the sensor. If you ever have to replace the sensor, you'll need to chop up the new one to put the non-OEM connector on that too.

It's not like you're hacking up a Lamborghini or anything, but it could also affect resale value. If I saw a factory connection with a generic connector swapped in without a good reason, I'd be wary of what else had been done to the bike. I would assume they didn't really know what they were doing and/or took shortcuts on repairs, and I would assume there was more stuff like that whether or not I could see it. Not everyone is as picky as me, but questionable electrical stuff can definitely scare people away quickly.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote