View Single Post
Old May 26th, 2015, 03:32 PM   #43
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
So i think i decided to just sleeve down the rgv250 inner races of the swing arm pivot to accept the stock rz spindle. It is going to be easier and cheap and i don't have to mess with the stock frame which is nice as it can not be undone.

That being said yesterday i was going to shave down the rgv inner races as the entire swingarm pivot needs to be a little shorter to fit into the rz frame and the races are one of the things that needs shaved just a hair. I was planning on taking about 1 mm off each one on each side when i got to thinking. There is a spacer in the center of the swing arm pivot and that is what sets the depth of the inner races. So instead to trimming 2 races i would just take the spacer out and trim that once. (great idea, i know)

So to get the spacer out one of the bearings needs to come out, the spacer has a slightly larger OD than the ID of the bearings. So i put a socket and an extension into the pivot hole agains the spacer and tapped away, the bearing never moved much and the spacer deformed a bit (made out of something soft ) oh well to far to stop now, hammered it out the rest of the way, destroyed one of the bearings in the process and it's outter casing is still in the pivot hole.

Oh well, i need to now take both the bearings out, get a new spacer, cut it to length and then put everything back together with new bearings. Should be fun/interesting getting the bearings out. but at least everything will be new and tight like a tiger.

Best laid plans

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote