View Single Post
Old August 4th, 2015, 03:10 PM   #27
BlueDragon
Certifiably Awkward

Name: Ashley

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
@BlueDragon - I've had a few close calls related to looking at my dash or GPS. I've taken to keeping my eyes up as much as possible and found a few little things that have help me. Maybe you know this stuff, or maybe it will be of help to you...
* If I think I may have forgotten to cancel my indicators I don't look at the dash. I just press the indicator cancel button again without taking my eyes off the road.
* As with the indicators - if I think my full beams are in the wrong state, I don't look, I just thumb the switch to where it should be.
* If I'm somewhere new and I'm feeling lost and a quick glance at the GPS doesn't help me out, I look for somewhere safe to pull over and check the map.
* I don't advise this but... I only look at my speedometer now when I'm approaching a speed camera. If you practise braking hard and you spend enough time riding you get a speed for how fast you are going and how long it takes to stop. If I can see the dangers and road up ahead and I know how quickly I can stop on this road surface then I don't need to check my speed on my dash.

I have a lot of respect for your ability to admit your stupid mistakes! Some people who crash fail to admit their mistakes and then they are doomed to repeat them or they give up riding "because it's too dangerous".
Thanks for the advice! I'll keep it all in mind when I get back to riding.