View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2018, 05:55 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePursuer View Post
The bike is very weak to start up and ticks. I start it with the choke on and leave it until the bike is warmed up. The ticking returns after turning the choke off and letting the rpm's fall. If I roll on the throttle too much the bike will stall. All issues seem to subside after the bike has been run for 10 minutes but the ticking will come and go. Does anybody have any idea what this could be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLYPntxPBKw
Ticking starts at the beginning then subsides. It dies after I apply throttle. Bike was just started no choke.
I think there are a few things going on.

As suggested, most likely a valve issue (can't tell, as the video has been removed) causing the ticking, but from the sound of it you may need some carb work and tuning as well. Cam chain tensioners can also cause some noise if they are not functioning properly.

You should be able to start it cold with moderate choke, then turn it off almost completely after a minute or so if it's tuned properly.

I'm guessing a valve adjustment and intense carb cleaning and adjusting are in order.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote