View Single Post
Old February 18th, 2019, 08:09 AM   #1
minimatt
ninjette.org member

Name: Gian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Stalling when put in gear

Hello,

So I've only been driving around 2 weeks now. I went out for a drive around today and half way through my journey in the middle of stop and go traffic my ninja decides to stall and I thought "well, ****. what did I do this time". Me still being a noobie, I assumed it must've been poor clutch control. But since that incident it has stalled a number of times when put into first, even when completely still. I managed to get home fine with no stalls for some reason, but the bike stalls whenever I go into gear now that I'm home. Starts up fine in neutral. Doesn't start up in 1st gear. Not sure if the ninja can even do that though. It's an instant cut-off when put into first.

Any ideas on what to check? Kickstand switch seems to be in working order, but I'm looking at it through the eyes of a guy who's never done anything mechanical before. I assume it's the clutch? Before the problem occurred, the bike moves forward slightly when put into first, if that bit of information helps. I assumed most bikes do that though.

-Bike stalled in 1st in middle of traffic
-Pulled over
-Bike kept stalling until magically went into first without dying
-Died in 1st again halfway home.
-Pulled over
-Again bike managed to go into first. Didn't stall for the rest of the journey after that.
-Got home and bike just completely dies off when put in gear.

I would consider my clutch control pretty good now, I do stall from time to time again, but i know 100% It's not me causing it this time.
minimatt is offline   Reply With Quote