View Single Post
Old June 17th, 2022, 08:33 AM   #1
Thedonn1732
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r

Bike having issues starting after carb cleaning

Hoping someone here can provide some insight to this issue I'm facing. Total newb to motorcycles here. I recently got a 06 250r from a friend of mine that got it about 3+ years ago and never rode it. He said when he got it from the previous guy it needed a new gas tank and a carb cleaning.

He had a friend clean the carb about 3 years ago, so I ordered a new gas tank, new petcock, new oil, coolant flush, new battery, and new spark plugs. I got the bike running, but It was having issues getting up and going in the lower rpms -- it would sputter for a bit and then once I'd cross ~5-6k RPM it would start to open up and then I'd get full power. I decided that i'd try to reclean the carbs since I don't even know who cleaned them previously. As I took the carb apart I realized that one of the little tiny Jet-needles was missing. Probably why the bike wasn't running well. I ordered a new one and cleaned the carb again very thoroughly (following methods found on online and from YouTube, even used copper wire to get in the hard to reach places, compressed air, carb cleaner, etc.).

I put the carb back in the bike and it was having issues starting. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the carbs and finally got her to start. it was riding ALOT better, but at this point the only issue I was having is that when I would rev the bike, the idle would hang at around 3k RPM and then slowly go back to normal idle. I checked all the boots that connect to the carb for a possible air leak, but everything was sealed on there good. I figured I would have to adjust the A / F mix screws a bit, but I didn't have time to tinkering with it anymore that day.

Flash forward two days later, I go to start the bike and it won't start, even with the choke all the way out. It will crank, but it won't fire up. Again, I checked the boots to make sure they were sealed, checked the idle screw, I have plenty of gas, checked the hoses on the carb to make sure that none of them were cracked or torn, and I checked to make sure I have spark from the spark plugs (I do). The bike only has about 2K miles on it, so it's not even that used.

I am totally at a loss here of why it won't even start now. I cleaned the carb and installed everything correctly to a T (I am very anal about these kinds of processes so I made sure I did everything properly and organized.), yet I can't get the bike to start now. Very frustrating. Any one have any advice?
Thedonn1732 is offline   Reply With Quote