View Single Post
Old December 11th, 2016, 07:28 AM   #12
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Went yesterday. Good show, though Yamaha didn't bring a MotoGP bike this year (a big part of why I go every year). I am disappoint, but whatever.

Coolest single thing I saw was the Max BMW (area dealer) booth, where they had a couple of mechanics disassembling an S1000RR engine all the way down to the last bolt, then building it back up. Over and over, all day long. I had to stay away or I would have blown the whole day watching them. Note to self: This stuff is way, way easier when the engine isn't in the bike, and is bolted to a stand.

Yamaha Champions Riding School did a really good stage presentation and I picked up some food for thought... might post over in At Speed or Riding Skills on this.

Fun thing... BMW had a "track experience" VR setup.. an Oculus Rift headset. You hop on an S1000RR and it takes you on a lap of some track out west. Was fun and allowed you to practice looking through the corners.

For Ninjetters/little bike lovers: All the basic small-class bikes (Ninja300, RC390, R3, CBR300) are the same, with the exception of BNGs. Kawi had a "winter test" edition, matte black with white graphics and "Kawasaki Racing" on it. I forgot to look for the Versys 300 but that's just because ADV bikes don't interest me. The new Suzuki 250 wasn't there. The new Honda Rebel had its own booth... contemporary bobber styling, pretty nifty if you're into that sort of thing. The new BMW G310 was there and looks good. Doesn't feel cheap. Seat is interesting... it really locks you in place. I'd consider this as a commuter bike.

For @"A" since he mentioned it: If you went you know that electrics are pretty much the same. I had an interesting conversation with a Zero exec at their booth. He told me they're in a place where the big leaps in development (range, etc.) are pretty much done for awhile. He also said that the next big raft of changes will take place in the 2018-2020 timeframe but of course wouldn't say more than that. Probably something like new models. They're looking at millennials as the market. They have and do look at the sporty/sportbike market but sportbikes are a tiny niche, and electrics are a tiny niche, so niche within a niche equals an unworkable market.

Bikes that got my attention... remember I'm a sportbike rider both street and track, don't care about the dirt, and I'm an old fart so retro has some appeal to me. Therefore these reflect my biases.

Here they are in no particular order:

Honda CBR1000RR: REALLY liking it. Looks great, and they've managed to make a literbike feel compact. Nice and narrow up front, reasonably easy reach to the ground even for me (I'm 5'7" on a good day), and the SP1 with the electronic suspension is pretty darned cool.

(Other literbikes... new GSX-R1000 feels a lot like my 750. ZX-10R was new last year and is the same. S1000RR is the same. R1 is the same... didn't bother looking at the R1S because dumbed-down versions of track weapons don't interest me.)

New R6: I paid attention because this is my track bike. Hasn't changed much in essence... new styling looks great. They say they've made it narrower up front but it's not that slim. Still the tallest sportbike out there.

Ducati Supersport: Sport-tourer with emphasis on the sport. I love the concept of this bike. Looks like a great street-practical machine that doesn't dumb down the sportbike vibe.

Cafe racers... I have a soft spot for these and they're the only retro bikes I consistently like. It's an aesthetics thing, I guess.

-- Ducati Scrambler cafe racer: For some reason this bike made me smile. Compact, seemed friendly like a puppy. I'd look at one. I'd like to ride one.

-- Yamaha XSR900 with clubman bars. I rode the XSR at a demo day and liked it. The clubman bars nail the cafe vibe really well, but the tail cowling is hideous.

-- BMW R Nine T Racer. Holy crap, my pants are fitting funny. Very long reach, lay-down riding position, really hits the "racer" end of the cafe racer spectrum. Looks better in person than in photos. Love this bike.

I know that a lot of people are jaded about these shows, but I always find it a worthwhile trip. This year I also snagged a really good show-special price on a Pit Bull front stand.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote