Thread: I crashed too
View Single Post
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #32
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

This is not the first time I've seen a result from a crash play out like this on a bike forum and it's always sad. You're buying a new bike for thousands of dollars, usually financed, buying expensive riding gear or taking riding courses/lessons and everything else that comes with owning a new bike. By the time it comes to registering, inspecting and getting insurance you're tapped out. It's tempting to get the cheapest insurance you can that gets you mobile, but it usually comes with a high deductable anyway. Then of course you bike depreciates in value every nanosecond from the moment you get the keys...blah..blah..
The point is, you're putting your body at risk. You can screw up and crash, injure yourself or die. The Ninja was my 3rd bike and for once I could afford to pay for everything up front. And I got the best insurance I could buy that included 100% medical coverage in case of an accident. It was $24 a year added to the policy.
So when I crashed it...and ended up in the hospital for 3 days and a knee operation while unemployed, I was fully covered. A few days after I got home the appraiser totalled my bike and they mailed me a check for only $500 less than what I had paid for the bike. As soon as I could walk I got another bike, same year, model and color. And then I insured it exactly the same.
This is your body and livelihood and perhaps even your life here. What happens if you injure yourself, can't work and miss payments? Or if you don't have medical insurance and crash with thousands in hospital bills to pay? You'll probably come very close to personal bankruptcy at the very least.
I must have read a half-dozen stories already by people who lost their bike and had monthly payments for the next 5 years. It's really sad and I shouldn't be having to read the same story over and over.
Protect yourslf, but protect your future financial health too. If you screw up without a back-up plan to take care of doctor's bills and bike replacement you're just gambling your future. Your future earnings and your future quality of life. I don't think any rider should settle for less than the best, most comprehensive insurance possible. Pay a little more money and cover your ass.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote