View Single Post
Old March 31st, 2015, 09:11 AM   #8
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 14 Ninja 300 (Track Only), 07 CRF150RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Interesting. It looks like something damaged the seal to cause it to rust. You should be fine reusing the old clips after cleaning it. Just give it some live to prevent it from rusting. Best bet would be to replace it. Parts are cheap.

What did you use to remove the seals off? Did you buy the bike used and tr forks were leaking prior? The raised piece is rubber is just the alignment guide for the fork stanchion protector thing. I would cut it down or make sure everything is sitting flush so that your seals are doing what they're intended to do and keep things from coming in and out.

To clean out the old stuff, you can spray some brake clean in there and let it drain out the fork bottoms until it runs clean. You want to make sure it's clan of all that grit or else it'll impregnate itself in the bushings.
Thanks for the response! I am going to reuse the clips, just sand then till there's no rust. It appears that it's just surface rust with no pitting or anything.

I followed one of the DIY posts to remove the seals, I used the edge of a box cutting to loft the dust seal off and then I pulled the fork tube out and then removed the oil seal. It is the dust seal that appeared to have the most damage. Yes I just bought the bike, it wasn't leaking when I bought it, or he did a good job cleaning it up so it didn't look like it was leaking. I noticed the leak on my second ride on it. I'm waiting on my seals to come in now
Dsheumaker is offline   Reply With Quote